Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Bacardi Distillery, San Juan, Puerto Rico 2011


The day got off to an auspicious beginning, when the concierge called to let me know they had CANCELLED my tour for the day!!
Being the determined woman I am, I decided to get to Bacardi's on my own. So I set off, not speaking a word of Spanish. I couldn't figure out the bus system, so I took a taxi to Old San Juan from the hotel. Cost me $15.00
From there, I found a ferry to cross the water to Catano, where the distillery is. Ferry was .50

So far so good. However I had a little problem finding the taxi on the Catano side= finally found them, jumped in a van with some other American tourists and paid $3.00 for the ride to Bacardi's. The return ride to the ferry was $12.00 because I couldn't find the tourists to share with!

Bacardi uses solar energy for the visitor center and gift shop.


But who knew their emblem is a fruit bat?
It seems the old Mrs. Bacardi felt they were a symbol of good health and well being for the family. Kind of freaks me out though.











1 comment:

Prisoner of the Universe #2-16 said...

Resourceful!
Bats - ugh!
Flowers - beautiful.
It's @10 degrees here tonight, dropping into the single digits...
But tomorrow is Friday...
Have a good flight.